I am headed off for vacation next week with the Fam. Do you know why I will be turning my phone off? Here are three main reasons why I can and will turn my phone off while on vacation:
- First and foremost my brain needs the rest. Just like many of yours do. Taking 5-7 Free Days in a row usually allows your brain to have enough rest that it will come up with a “break through” idea for you. The exciting part is that, as I write this I have no idea what that breakthrough will be. That said, something will pop. Can’t wait!!
- I will be turning my phone off because I will be prepared to do so. I am a very serious business person and care very much about all of the stake holders in my business. Because of this, I prepare for my departure well in advance of it. Curious to know how I prepare? Well it’s your lucky day. I have decided to share the Green Team Free Day / Vacation Prep Checklist document that I have created for our Sales Associates.
- (Quite frankly this is probably the most important reason to turn my phone off while taking a vacation), Because my beautiful Bride and Boys deserve the quality time Dad gives them when he is not distracted. There is nothing more beneficial for my marriage and relationship with my children than when I turn off the phone and focus on them. My loved ones are well deserving of Quality Time as are yours.
So what are you waiting for? Try just one Free day to start. One 24 hour period of time, midnight to midnight, with no work whatsoever.
Before you get to the bonus material listed below, please allow me to give a pitch. If you are a Realtor in the same market territory as one of our offices why not come in to learn more about the opportunity of working with us? I promise you that we are very different in many ways from any other Brokerage you have come in contact with. You will not be disappointed by what you learn. Call me directly to schedule an appointment.
Now, here is the bonus material:
Free Day / Vacation Prep Checklist
Created for Green Team Home Selling System Sales Associates.
One of our Industry’s greatest dilemma’s is the inability for most Realtors to take enough time away from the business to live a meaningful life. We take this very seriously at The Green Team and have created this document along with a first class support team to actually execute the plan listed below.
Free Day = 24 hours (Midnight to Midnight) Absolutely No Work. Turn the devices off!!
Preparation Plan for taking time off:
- If you are simply going to take one Free day you really don’t really need to put this plan in place. Just take the day off and come back ready to rock and roll when it’s done. If you wish to take 2 or more Free Days then definitely complete the next steps.
- Make sure your Agent Service Manager (ASM), Certified Sales Assistant (CSA) if applicable, are aware of the days you will be out of touch.
- Find a Licensed “Buddy” in the office, ie another licensed Green Team Realtor. You will need to have this Buddy agree to be on call during your absence to handle any issues for you. If you have a CSA the Buddy will only need to handle licensed sales activities. The CSA will handle all non-licensed activities if you have a CSA.
- Enable your vacation responder on your email account to start on the day you leave and end on the day you come back. Here is sample wording for the email responder:
- Thank you for sending me a message. I will be out of the office on Monday 2/20/17 and returning on Tuesday 2/21/17. I will not be checking email during this time. If you need assistance please call my office (845-208-9928) and our Admin support team will be able to help you with whatever it is that you may need. I hope this message finds you well.
- PLEASE DO NOT leave the contact information of your CSA in your vacation responder. It is recommended that you do not leave the name or contact information of your Buddy either. Let the process take it course. People will follow the protocol and provided that the ASM has been properly notified of your dates and support people, ie CSA & Buddy this will work.
- Change your voicemail greeting(s). Here is sample wording for the voicemail greetings:
- Hi this is Geoff. Today is Saturday April 29. I will be out of the office until Monday May 8th. I will not be returning voicemails left here until I return on Monday May 8th. If you need immediate assistance please contact my office at 845-208-9928 and a member of our Administrative Team will be able to assist you with any matter that you may have. Thank you for calling and have a great day.
- PLEASE DO NOT leave the contact information of your CSA in your voicemail greetings. It is recommended that you do not leave the name or contact information of your Buddy either. Let the process take it course. People will follow the protocol and provided that the ASM has been properly notified of your dates and support people, ie CSA & Buddy this will work.
- Now that you have completed all of the above-mentioned steps you can RELAX and enjoy your time off!! Remember, shut the phone off, leave the laptop at home, and spend time with the people in your life who really matter.
An extensive list of helpful things to remember when setting off for a vacation.
- shut off water at the house.
- Set thermostat
- Turn H/W heater down
- Garbage & recycling to curb.
Documentation/ Important Paperwork
- Drivers License
- Medical release for children if not going on trip.
- Plane/Train tickets
- leave voicemails on work and cell phone
- repoint emails for leads if need be
- repoint fax email
- set email for vacation message.
- business cards
- Shaving cream & razor
- Any medicine if necessary
- Hair clippers
- Painkillers/ ibuprofen
- contact lenses
- toothbrush, toothpaste & floss
- sunblock & lotion
- nasal spray if going to mountains
- power adaptors
- Bose speaker
- ear phones for plane or adaptor of ear buds
- camera & recharging device
- laptop & power cord
- Charger for cell phone
- Auxiliary Cable for Cell phone – (audio cable)
- Kid’s tablets
- Fire TV Stick
- foreign cash if applicable
- Call bank to make sure debit cards will work internationally
- reading materials
- phase 10 & regular playing cards
- pillow for the plane
- full brim hat
- cloth for cleaning glasses
- Card book holder (AAA card)
- Air Mattress & pump
- Kids sneakers
- Stroller & Carrier
- Car lap table for kids
- Car seat carrier
- kids swim gear & swim toys
- hide keys for car left behind
- parking coupons if necessary
- Water sprayer w/ fan
- rain ponchos